Friday, March 6, 2009

Patagonia!! And other random things..

Last week, I went to the town of San Carlos de Bariloche in the Patagonian region of Argentina. I went with 2 kids from American University that I met here through my Spanish course. Bariloche is nestled up in the Andes, in the lake district of Argentina. We went hiking to several waterfalls and a black glacier, which gets its color from the volcanic sediment covering the ice. We also went biking around the edge of the lake and kayaking on another. Patagonia is hard to describe in words- you really just have to see it for yourself!


The black glacier.


Harris and Jenelle, the kids I went to Bariloche with. The couple in the background is another thing typical of this country :)


In case you forgot, this is Argentina.
We stayed in a hostel, which was definitely an experience! It was my first time staying in one, so I have nothing to compare it to, but Harris and Jenelle said it was very clean and nice by hostel standards. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world and conversing in various languages, but could've done without the random (and unwashed) fourth roommate.

Speaking of roommates, the BC girls I had been living with decided to rent an apartment instead of sticking with our homestay. I now have 3 new roomies: a boy from Kentucky and 2 German girls. All of them are incredibly nice, and we only speak Spanish with each other, which is exactly the type of experience I was looking for. So everything's good!

Classes finally start tomorrow (yes, I have essentially been on vacation all this time) and I'm looking forward to it. All this spontaneity and such is all well and good, but I do like to have some kind of routine/something to occupy my brain. Hopefully once I have said routine I will be more consistent about updating this thing... until then, besos a todos!

No comments:

Post a Comment