Through a chance encounter with some friendly Argentines at a milonga, I was introduced to a wonderful tango teacher with whom I and my friend Jenelle have been taking lessons for around 6 weeks now. Our lessons are very technique-focused, so we're learning how to dance well, even if we don't move very fast. The lessons also have their own little community. We sit around and drink mate afterwards, people bring baked goods, and we recently celebrated one of the women's birthday. Getting some actual training under my belt is slowly increasing my confidence at the milongas, although I suspect being called a diosa (goddess) on a regular basis by our teacher doesn't hurt either.
This past weekend, I went with my roommates Nadia and Linda, Jenelle, and 2 friends of the girls' to Iguazu Falls!! It was a whirlwind of a weekend, involving a sixteen-hour bus ride (one way) and lots of laughter. One of the friends is visiting from Germany and doesn't speak any Spanish, so we communicated in an English-Spanish-German hybrid language that deserves its own dictionary. As for the falls, I've never seen anything like them! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:
Note the rainbow.
We also took a boat under the falls, getting completely soaked in the process. Luckily, since the falls are up by Brazil (we Americans could wave at the border but unfortunately not cross it without a visa) it was warm enough that we didn't freeze. Overall it was a wonderful three days :)
That's all for now, I hope you are all enjoying your first weeks of summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment