Sunday, February 8, 2009

And it's been a week already...

My first week in Buenos Aires was certainly eventful! The city is fascinating- each neighborhood has its own personality and its own things to do, and I feel like I will never run out of places to explore here. Some highlights (and annoyances) of the week:
- seeing my first pair of tango dancers in the street
- going to La Boca, the home of the tango and Buenos Aires' quintessential brightly colored buildings
- getting a stomach bug :(
- meeting my "PAL," a girl named Silvina who goes to la UCA and who I think I can become really good friends with- it's something similar to the IA program at BC
- going to a boliche, or dance club, and dancing till 5am (early but acceptable by Argentine standards)
- spending way more money than I intended
- wearing skirts and summery things. Actually, being warm in general.
- people watching (ladies, the rumors are true- there is no such thing as an ugly Argentine boy!)
- searching in vain for black hair ties. apparently only little girls wear their hair up here or something because they only sell them in pastels
- hanging out with the other kids in my Spanish class
- dealing with the shortage of coins in the city combined with the fact that you have to use cash pretty much everywhere- the café at UCA now issues little laminated IOUs in place of giving you change, since they don't have coins either
- talking to the night doorman, Juan, who is awesome and knows everything
- listening to and learning the beautiful Argentine accent
- getting asked for directions! yes!!
I've posted pictures on Facebook for those of you who have it, and for those of you who don't I will try to get my Picasa account up and running soon.

1 comment:

  1. Alessandra!

    Sounds like things are going well. I am enjoying keeping up with your blog. Blog more, please!!!

    ReplyDelete